Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Empty quills, unsung songs

A friend of mine posted a poetry challenge. These were the rules:

You must use at least 5 of the 10 words from the following list, but if you only use 5, your poem cannot exceed 50 total words. If you use all 10, I'm generously giving you a maximum of 75 words for your poem. Post your finished product or cuss me out for this silly exercise. Regardless, here is the list followed by the poem that I came up with. Hope you enjoy writing, reading, either or both.


THE WORDS: interpret, bargain, consider, apathy, dusk,
deny, shatter, specific, anticipate and porcelain.



"Empty quills, unsung songs"




I consider your apathy a bargain


in exchange for hollow words,


empty promises.


Your silence simplifies,


what remains unspoken


is easy to interpret.



Deny me a choice


my words are paper airplanes,


perpetually ineffectual


in ability to reach the intended target.



Porcelain skin


remains uncovered


as dusk envelops my soul.


Nights fragrant song


cries out a thousand miles away.



Morning comes


s h a t t e r s dreams


so eagerly anticipated


yet specific to no one.

No comments: