Saturday, November 10, 2007

4 Maples, 5 Stars and a river road (aka, When the music fades away)

Author Notes:
In the middle of writing this everything changed. It took on a different path, which is not yet complete...not sure of the ending yet.

I don't expect you
to never want to play again.
That would be like asking
DaVinci to never paint another masterpiece.
The hands of a music man
need to play
daily.
I understand the music we made
was your greatest composition
I was your symphony
But somewhere along the way
the music stopped
you stopped playing
I stopped singing.
Strings snapped
you blew your stack.
The critics were silent
it was your fear
that left you paralyzed,
kept you from playing.
I stopped singing
when it was clear
my voice would never be heard.
Love apologized for the deafening silence,
took a quick bow
and silently walked off the stage.
There was no final farewell concert,
no goodbyes
it just became clear
to me
that I was a fool
Standing in the spotlight
with no accompaniment
If your voice is strong enough
you can do a'capella
but I needed the strumming
to produce those high pitched notes,
to keep the beat.
You went back to your old gig
while I tried to find my place
once again.
Eventually I decided to move on
to a different stage.
Instead of being in the spotlight
singing anthems
I sat quietly rocking,
humming lullabies.
To the outsider,
the music was gone.
You and I knew differently,
that it would never completely fade away.

No comments: