Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Box

‘meet me in the box’
we used to say
you made me my very own
silver box
I pull our box down from the shelf
and peek inside..

printed e-mails
handwritten letters
cards
pictures
scraps of paper
toy airplane kits
pregnancy tests
shopping bag from the jewelry store,
all that remains of my aquamarine ring
your special present to me
before we were 'us'
the adventures of fender bender book
and his little tin
where he used to live
memories so distant
and yet so near

tears slip
remembering
reading
feeling
so much love
and passion

do we have a gift
as we spoke of so long ago
or are we just another
fatality
in this game
of life?

life was so much different then
I held onto fear
you kept drawing me closer,
and even in distance,
seperation
you
never gave up

i sat up past 3AM
writing on scraps of paper
‘100 reasons why i love you’
now
tucked safely inside the box
a distant memory..

12 cards on your birthday
each with clues
to lead you
to your ultimate present

one e-mail
forshadowing
something we never thought
would become our lives
'mercury rising'
the movie you watched
about an autistic boy
and you weren’t even sure
how to spell autistic
four years later we would find out
with our only son
our own special angel

now here i sit
sifting through
memories
wondering
if our box
will continue to grow
and fill with memories
or if this box
will be all that remains
of
us…

No comments: